Forensic & Data Recovery Tool
Atola Insight Forensic offers complex data retrieval functions along with utilities for manually accessing hard drives at the lowest level, wrapped in a very simple and efficient user interface.
The tool is developed by a team of industry renowned data recovery engineers in collaboration with law enforcement agencies and forensic experts from around the globe.
Atola Insight Forensic system includes:
Forensic and E-Discovery solution
- Atola Insight Forensic software (runs on any Windows PC or laptop)
- DiskSense hardware unit
- Hardware extensions (optional)
All features of the system are designed to support damaged media. Where other Forensic data acquisition products stall or abort on media errors, Atola Insight Forensic can acquire a usable image.
When dealing with good (non-damaged) media, Atola Insight Forensic acquires data faster than any other data acquisition equipment commercially available.
The system has several key features for data capture in forensic and e-discovery cases:
- Fastest in industry imaging speed up to 520 MB/s
- High performance multi-pass imaging for damaged drives
- In-depth Automatic HDD diagnostics
- Extraction of unknown ATA Passwords
- Case management system prepares acquisition reports automatically
- Hash calculation: MD5, SHA1, SHA224, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512
- Forensic data erasure methods including DoD 5220.22-M, Security Erase, NIST 800-88, Pattern Erase
- File recovery for NTFS (all versions), Ext 2/3/4, HFS, HFS+, HFSX, ExFAT, FAT16, FAT32
- Support for SATA, IDE, SAS, USB media
- Built-in write blocker
- Optional 10Gb Ethernet via extension modules
Advanced password removal capability: Atola Insight Forensic automatically removes ATA passwords from hard drives in just 2 minutes. This highly complex feature can be executed by the operator with one click of a button and the password is displayed after it is removed whenever possible.
Well-rounded feature set: Atola Insight Forensic comes equipped with a range of utility features for each step of the data acquisition process. These features include device configuration for modifying hard drive parameters, HDD current monitoring for continuous diagnosis, a disk editor for modifying hard drive data, and an add/remove password function.
Smooth case management from start to finish: Atola Insight Forensic is the only data recovery product that was built with case management in mind. All functions are tied in to one-another and the system tracks and records every action taken with a given hard drive. If a session is stopped and the hard drive is disconnected from Atola Insight and then later reconnected, the system will recognize the hard drive and give the operator the option to re-open the case.
DiskSense Forensic technical specifications:
DiskSense is basically a very small computer running a Linux OS. However, neither normal computer's BIOS nor basic Linux kernel are suitable for handling of damaged hard drives, simply because neither was designed to handle hard disk failures very well. We have invested a significant amount of research and development efforts which allowed us to build a highly customized and fine-tuned Linux kernel that completely overcomes these issues. Additionally, this kernel features:
- Dimensions: 7.7 x 7.2 x 2.1 in (196 x 182 x 54 mm)
- Weight: 2.9 lb (1.3 kg)
- Wide working temperature range: 0°C–50°C (32°F–122°F)
- Source ports: SATA 3.0, USB 3.0, IDE
- Write protection switch for source ports
- 6 Target ports:
- 3 SATA
- 3 USB 3.0 (SuperSpeed)
- Serial RS232 port
- Operation LEDs for all ports and a buzzer
- Two ethernet interfaces: RJ45 / 1Gb. One of them can be used for Network Forensics.
- Internal OS: Linux running a custom kernel
- Control interface: Atola Insight Forensic (Windows application)
- Supported hard drive interfaces: SATA I/II/III, USB 1.0/2.0/3.0, IDE
- Flash card support via card reader attached to any USB port
- Power consumption: 60 Watt average, 200 Watt peak
- Supply Voltage: 100 - 240 VAC, 50-60 Hz
- Full low-level control over SATA, USB and IDE ports
- Full native SATA support
- Reset and SATA PHY control for best handling of severely damaged hard drives
- High-speed DMA data transfers, up to 418 MB/s
- All BIOS and standard kernel functions are disabled
DiskSense also features our proprietary circuitry for ultimate hard drive's power control:
- Current sensor for in-depth hard disk diagnosis
- Automatic overcurrent and short-circuit protection
- Overvoltage protection
These features are a must when dealing with damaged hard drives.
For example, low-level control of the SATA, USB and IDE ports allows Atola Insight Forensic to deal with hard drives that do not properly initialize, have many bad sectors, or freeze frequently due to internal (mechanical) failures.
SATA PHY control allows resetting a frozen hard drive without a power cycle which saves quite a bit of time while imaging, and reduces the chances of further hard disk degradation and failure.
Current sensing allows Atola Insight to diagnose a failed hard drive even if it has electronic or mechanical damage. Please see Disk Diagnostics for more details on how this works.
Over-current protection detects when the hard drive draws abnormal current and stops the hard drive to prevent any further damage.
Over-voltage protection circuit ensures that in the unlikely event of the DiskSense unit malfunction, the attached hard drives are not damaged in any way.
DiskSense unit is fully controlled by Atola Insight software via the Gigabit Ethernet interface, hence no Linux experience is required at all in order to operate it.
Acquiring data from damaged media
HDD Diagnosis: A successful acquisition job starts with accurate diagnosis of the media. The Atola Insight Forensic is the ONLY product in both data recovery and forensic industries with the ability to accurately evaluate a hard drive's health and pinpoint specific problems. This feature puts our users at a major advantage by enabling them to take all factors into account before moving forward with data acquisition.
- ATA Password Removal and Firmware recovery: When a hard drive is experiencing firmware problems, it is not usually accessible using conventional data acquisition tools or imaging utilities. The Atola Insight Forensic recognizes firmware corruption using its advanced diagnostic module and repairs it with the click of a button for supported HDD models. For non-supported HDD models, the Atola Insight recognizes firmware corruption and provides direct access to firmware files (modules), enabling expert technicians to manually repair the corruption.
- HDD Duplication / Backup Image Creation: Extracting every fragment of data from hard drive is a crucial part of the data acquisition process. The Atola Insight's duplication/imaging system allows the user to completely customize the imaging process to suit each job, even when dealing with damaged or unstable media.
This module now comes standard with SELECTIVE HEAD IMAGING, allowing the operator to identify the status of individual read/write head and create an individual imaging approach for each one.
File Recovery: File recovery is the last phase of most data acquisition jobs. The Atola Insight's file recovery engine is simple, intuitive, and effective. It integrates seamlessly with Disk Duplication and Case Management systems to effectively extract data.